The Rock's Blistering 'Hobbs & Shaw' Back Workout

Jacked News

Ripped
Jacked Cash
Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Pullup.jpg
Per Bernal / M+F Magazine

Pulling off incredible feats of human achievement is commonplace for Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. His movies have grossed more than $3.4 billion in the U.S. alone; his social media presence is so overwhelming that a mere photo of his Flintstonian dinner on Instagram can gather over 4 million likes in a matter of days; and in recent years, he’s become an annual fixture on TIME’s hallowed list of the 100 Most Influential People.

But that’s not enough for the most decorated man in Hollywood—not even close. Because for his upcoming movie, Hobbs & Shaw, Johnson is looking to do the unthinkable: get even bigger. Well, physically, at least.

We talked to Johnson’s trainer, Dave Rienzi, about the strict workout program the actor took on as he prepared to once again appear on screen as Luke Hobbs, and he made it clear that Team Rock was insistent on pushing the boundaries of his physique ever further, saying, “Historically with the Hobbs character, everyone knows him as being massive, big, and very strong. For this version we were looking to refine his physique by adding size and dimension while achieving a new level of leanness.”

In short, the team needed to create “Hobbs 2.0.”

To hit their marks, the team had to balance the aesthetics that make Johnson look like a larger-than-life bulldozer of an action star with the functional muscle that helps him actually pull off the stunts and fights that fans love. “[We] knew it was going to be physical—we knew there were going to be a lot of fight scenes,” Rienzi told us. This meant workouts were designed for both form and function, ensuring that, "all the muscles are firing properly, [and that] there are no muscle imbalances." The result? Well, look for yourself:

View this post on Instagram​

Cool and informative HOBBS & SHAW post below from my strength and conditioning coach @daverienzi. Hard to really understand how challenging nuances it takes holding a “peak muscularity” look for extreme action sequences that last all night long and two consecutive days straight in the hot sun. Every minutia detail is communicated between us constantly. It’s all part of my commitment. When it’s time to play - we push all chips in. #RienziStrength #Repost ・・・ HOBBS & SHAW wrapped with a bang. 3 shirtless fight scenes in the last week and half of filming. 1 night shoot 2 consecutive daytime fight scenes. I nuanced the peaking for these scenes by combing carb depletion, carb loading, water manipulation, mineral monitoring while working within the constraints of the elevated temperatures of the day shoots. It’s a fine line to balance holding a peak while filming intense physically demanding fight scenes. Consistent communication and monitoring is required. I'm really proud of this Hobbs 2.0 physique. Congratulations to @therock and the entire team who worked with me on this effort. #RienziStrength @HHGarcia41

A post shared by therock (@therock) on Feb 2, 2019 at 3:44pm PST

For just a taste of the grueling workouts Johnson put himself through, you can take a look at his Hobbs & Shaw back routine below. Think you can keep up? We believe in you, but it also can't hurt to make sure your life insurance policy is in order. Ya know, just in case.

No
Topics:
Back
Back workouts
Bodybuilding
Celebrity workouts
The Rock
Training tips
Build Muscle

Continue reading...

Back